Information Governance & Access to Medical Reocrds

The data controller for patients' primary care medical records is usually the patient's registered medical practice.

How we use your information

Privacy Notice

Access to Medical Records Policy

Application form for access medical records

GP Health Records for un-registered or deceased individuals

NHS England is the data controller of GP health records where an individual is not currently registered with a GP or is deceased. To request access to your own health records or those of a deceased person, the most efficient way to submit the request is to complete the application form which can be downloaded here.  This will ensure all the relevant details are captured and will avoid confusion or misunderstanding.  The application form contains information regarding your rights and how your application will be dealt with. Please take the time to read it carefully.

To receive a copy of a medical record, appropriate identification documents must be provided. If you are making the application as an individual’s legal representative (e.g. a solicitor), we need to receive written authorisation from the applicant for you to act on their behalf and receive their medical record.

Please send your completed application form and copies of relevant identification documentation via email to If you are unable to submit your request via email please forward your completed application to the following postal address:

FAO Access Team
Primary Care Support England
3 Caxton Road

If you have any queries please email us at: or call us on: 0333 014 2884.

National Data Opt out

The National Data Opt-out was introduced on 25 May 2018, enabling patients to opt out from the use of their data for research or planning purposes, in line with the recommendations of the National Data Guardian in her Review of Data Security, Consent and Opt-Outs. Patients who do not want their data to be used should be aware that they are responsible for opting out. Find out here (this link will open in a new window - popups must be allowed) how you can opt out online, by phone or in print by post.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website